Beef and Basil Stir Fry // Paleo & Whole30 // Video Recipe Tutorial
This recipe was born one evening when I had way too much ground beef in my freezer and no desire for the standard ground beef recipes, most of which in my mind are italian or meatloaf, I was in the mood for something different. Something spicy and healthy. Hello Beef and Basil stirfry.
I adapted this from a few recipes I found on Pinterest by searching for the ingredients I wanted to use. This is a great trick to finding healthy meals when you only have a few random ingredients in your fridge, type them into Pinterest and watch the majob happen as thousands of recipe options appear at your fingertips.
I’m no master when it comes to combining flavour or making sauces and you don’t have to be either. Just wing it. I mean really, if you’re using good ingredients it can’t turn out all that bad. I’m sure all the top Chefs are reading this (wouldn’t that be cool!) and thinking, girl your crazy, it totally matters. Well people aren’t paying $100 a plate to eat dinner at my house (wouldn’t that be cool!) so I’m not all that worried about it. Worst that can happen is that I don’t love what I made and never make it again, no big deal.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch of 1 basil
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp hot sauce of choice
- Pinch of cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 oz canned whole tomatoes (or fresh)
- 10 oz spinach
- Chop and wash all your vegetables so they are ready to cook
- Heat the wok and add coconut oil
- Once the oil it hot add the onion and cook till translucent before adding the garlic
- Add the ground beef, salt and pepper and continue to stir until the beef is fully cooked
- Combine tomato paste, red wine vinegar, hot sauce and cumin in a bowl and mix till combined
- Add the hot sauce mixture to the beef then remove beef from wok
- Add a bit more oil if necessary then cook the celery and bell pepper, add in any left over hot sauce, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- Add the spinach, herbs and ground beef, mix to combine and enjoy
When you’re experimenting in the kitchen, above all else have fun. When I make these videos it’s not because my food is the best or my skills are top notch, it’s because I have fun cooking and I love sharing that with you. I also love showing you how easy it is to be fearless in the ktichen – go for it! No recipe, no guide, no idea what you’re gonna do and yet you still get food in your belly at the end of the meal.
Happy experimenting lovelies!